Sunday, February 6, 2011

Gypsy!

Last night was the book event at Tattered Cover LODO for the fabulous Karen Abbott and her wonderful book on my favorite burlesque queen, Gypsy Rose Lee. Gypsy was a DIY girl after my own heart, a fiercely individual artist and total trailblazer.



Me and Karen. Jo Weldon described her as having "The biggest and most beautiful eyes", and she really does!

I was honored to be asked to perform as part of the event and recreated  Gypsy's very funny and very PG (appropriate for the Tattered Cover audience) striptease "Psychology of a Stripper" from "Stage Door Canteen". I piled my hair up Gypsy style and found a few things in my closet that echoed her outfit. I was nervous as all heck and convinced I would never remember the whole monologue, but I did alright and only left out one line. As usual the striptease was much easier than the talking!


Check out Karen's brilliant version, taking Gypsy's act and spoofing it as the, "Psychology of an Author".




No comments:

Post a Comment